Thanks to WWU’s 2014 graphic design BFA students for creating this beautiful video showcasing all the great stuff that happens at Make.Shift!
We’re so proud that Cascadia Weekly readers voted Make.Shift “Best Bellingham Gallery” for the third year in a row! Check out the lovely things they said below:
Challenging All Artists!
An Open Call Art Show for 2014’s December Art Walk:
For the last show of 2014 Make.Shift is inviting artists to submit original miniature artwork. Please submit up to ten tiny things no larger than three inches in any direction. We want NEW pieces, made specifically for this show. All 2D and 3D pieces must be free standing, we will not be hanging this show on the wall. Subject matter is open, we hope you have fun with this challenge.
click here for more details.
Holy crap, the Make.Shift Block Party is less than a week away! We’re so excited for:
*All-day live local music
*Inflatable gladiator joust (yes, you too can bash your friends in the head)
*New, improved, and relocated Slip ‘N Slide of Doom
*Climbing wall by Vital Climbing Gym – Bellingham
*Punk Rock haircuts by Toni&Guy Hairdressing Academy – Bellingham, WA
*Skate Jam by Unknown Board Shop
*Beer garden featuring beer by PBR, Aslan Brewing Company, Kulshan Brewing Company, Wander Brewing, and Boundary Bay Brewery and cider by Seattle Cider Company
*Mysterious and thrilling kinetic sculpture!
*Bike and water shenanigans
*Kid Zone + bounce house
*Live screen printing by Iron Street Printing
*Info tables by awesome orgs like Bellingham Girls Rock Camp, Signed Magazine, The Good Time Girls – sin, gin, gore & lore, The RE Store’s Revision Division, Bellingham Books to Prisoners, Inky Spokes, and more!
*Plus: The unveiling of our new local music listening library!
HUGE THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS:
Pabst Blue Ribbon, Aslan Brewing Co., Realtor Jeff Braimes, Sean McKee Law Firm, Blue Collar Skateboards, Brandywine Kitchen, Cascadia Weekly, What’s Up! Magazine, and Z Recyclers.
We are pleased as all heck to announce that the Bellingham Local Music Library is live and streaming in the gallery at Make.Shift Art Space.
Bellingham resident Eric Holl spent a year compiling over 1000 albums by more than 500 Bellingham bands — now available to stream for free at Make.Shift.
The library is an effort to preserve and archive the sounds and recordings of the Bellingham music community past and present. Genres included in the library span early 60’s 7 inches, 70’s Christian folk records, 80’s local cassette comps, and plenty of present-day local bands.
To compile the library, Eric pulled from his old KUGS archive and friends’ collections, sifted through every record store between Bellingham and Portland (and even Spokane), and relentlessly scoured Ebay. He also digitized tons of cassettes and records that weren’t previously available in a digital format.
We are so stinkin’ proud of the crazy amount of work that’s gone into this library so far! You can check out the list of bands included so far here.
Do you have music that isn’t included yet? Please contact email@example.com.
During the month of March, our gallery features artist Matt Bowen (from Vancouver BC)
From the artist: My work is aesthetically inspired by the vintage comics I used to pore over as kid. Thematically, I am either trying to express something with a social / political message or creating something that appeals to my somewhat eccentric outlook on life. With this show for Make.Shift I just wanted to have fun with the work. I enjoy showing in galleries but am also very interested in street-art and the inclusive nature of showing work in a public space outside the curatorial confines of a commercial environment.
Believe it or not, the holidays are right around the corner & Make.Shift is looking for vendors for the 2nd annual Holiday Make.Sale. Make awesome stuff? Want to sell said awesome stuff at the coolest DIY craft sale in town? Well, apply for goodness sakes!
This year, will be a one day only event on Saturday, December 14th. Check out the Application for details. Submit your application & sample images by October 20th to be considered for this year’s event!
Come make films! Saturday, June 29th and July 6th, 1-4pm. $60 for hands-on instruction, a camera for a week, film, developing chemicals and more.
First session (June 29) will include an introduction to the medium, a crash course in cinematography, and then hands-on time with Super 8mm cameras. You get to take the camera with you for the week and shoot your film.
The second session (July 6) will be hand-developing the film, then projecting everyone’s films. Only 10 spots are available, so sign up quickly. Click here or the button below to use paypal to purchase your slot.
- Make an original, 2D piece of art that is postcard size (4×6 inches)
- You may submit up to 5 pieces for the show*.
- *Keep in mind: these will eventually be mailed as postcards, so make sure they are sturdy, and blank on the reverse side.
- Deliver your postcard(s) to Make.Shift — 306 Flora St — or mail them to us:
- **Do not mail them directly** put them in an envelope along with ONE 4×6 note card listing the following information:
Your name and mailing address
Your email address
The total number of pieces that you are submitting to the show (1 – 5)
DEADLINE: MAY 24th, Friday at 4:00 p.m.
- Come to Make.Shift for the opening Art Walk reception and see your art in the gallery! Friday, July 5th.
- Check your mailbox! At the end of the show we will put your address on someone else’s postcard and mail it. For each postcard that you submit to the show, you will receive one in return. Other artists from the show will receive yours!
note: original postcard art will not be for sale during this show. Make.Shift will be scanning and printing postcards of all submissions to be for sale in the gallery as part of Make.Shift’s summer fund raising campaign.
Make.Shift Art Space invites you to team up with a kid in your life and collaborate on some art!
kid = 12 years of age or younger. Any kid you know: your own, a neighbor, niece or nephew, any little buddy will do. Each team of artists may submit up to two pieces of art for the show.
* We plan to hang all of the art work that is turned in for the show, and meets the following requirements.
- All pieces of art must be collaborative = both people contribute to the final creation.
- 2D work must be framed or mounted and have a wire for hanging
- All pieces labeled on the back with : Title, price, or NFS, Name and age of both artists, Contact e-mail address of the adult, Optional: The artists’ relationship
- 3D pieces are welcome! Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org by April 13th with the size and materials of the piece so we can plan accordingly.
- Listing your art work for sale is not mandatory, but is encouraged. Gallery commission= 25% on all sales.
DROP OFF DEADLINE: Friday April 26th at 4:00pm.
- The gallery is open Tues.-Sat. noon-5pm. Work may be turned in early.
- Art Walk will be Friday, May 3rd, 6-10pm. We hope you will join us!
Contact email@example.com with any questions about the show,hanging requirements, or to make special requirements for dropping off your art.